Your resume is one of the most important parts of a job application. Whether you are looking for your first job or planning to make a career change, you need to learn how to write a resume that will help you get noticed and boost your chances of landing interviews.
“Emphasize your strengths on your resume, in your cover letters, and in your interviews. It may sound obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people simply list everything they’ve ever done. Convey your passion and link your strengths to measurable results. Employers and interviewers love concrete data.”
“• Marcus Buckingham
Author, Motivational Speaker, and Business Consultant
Here are some easy-to-follow steps on how to get the resume format and layout right and what content to include:
- Start by choosing a resume type:
- Chronological format – this is the simplest type that’s why it’s the most widely used resume format. Your professional work experience comes first before your skills and educational background.
- Functional format – this is also known as a skills-based resume format. You get to showcase your skills that you believe are most relevant to the role that you are applying for.
- Combination format – this format features both skills and qualifications then professional work experience comes next.
- Targeted format – you also get the option to highlight the role that you are interested in and the reason(s) why you are a good fit.
- A good resume layout should have
- Maximum of 3 pages
- Section headings that divide each part of the resume
- Plenty of white space so that it would be easy to read and the hiring manager or employer can have some space to write on.
- The right font and size
- Proofread your resume! Read it a few times before sending your application. This can save you from potentially embarrassing mistakes in the future.
Click here for some tips to help you out before, during and after a job interview.
Boost Your Career Today!
Study a nationally accredited and professional online course and get 20% off*. Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive an eVoucher that can be used on top of our monthly promotion.
Whether you are looking to upskill or reskill to improve your career prospects or are looking for an exciting new career opportunity, you will find a course to meet your needs in our extensive online course catalogue.
*Terms & Conditions Apply.